It is that time of year for USA Softball South Dakota to start making the push to get your Back Ground Check and SafeSport done. https://registerusasoftball.com/
Background Checks are by law a mandatory yearly requirement for adults involved with USA Youth Sports associated with a National Governing Body. National governing bodies include any sport that has "USA" before the sport is played. Examples are USA Softball, USA Hockey, USA VB, USA BB, USA Track, USA Wrestling, USA Swimming, etc.
The USA Softball's background check is required before you are allowed to take the 2023 SafeSport course for USA Softball. Let us help you if you are struggling anywhere along the way with the background check process. https://registerusasoftball.com/Account/About.aspx?info=BGCheck
- USA Softball South Dakota has chosen to require all umpires who are 18 & over, to submit a background check with the cost but into their registration fees.
- Adults who coach, keep score, dugout personnel, youth board members, and USA Softball SD Executive Board is expected to submit a background check.
- Required will be your first and last name, date of birth, social number, telephone, email, address, gender, and Driver's License number if possible.
- If you already have a Register USA account and can not get in for whatever reason, contact me with an email, and I can recreate a new password to get you in.
- Do not make a new account or you will lose all of your past SafeSport and Ace credits.
USA Softball South Dakota is here to help where we can with SafeSport. Since StaySport is a federal program, we are limited in some instances. Here are some areas where we can help. https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/SafeSport
- Once logged into SafeSport, if the only courses that you see are going to charge you $20 and none say NGB, stop and let me know. Something was not set correctly when you registered with SafeSport.
- You will need to fill in all the lines on your profile. Line Organization ID with be your USA Membership 5 to 7-digit number found on your Register USA Home Page.
- The last line is the Name of the Sport or Community Organization. This line must say USA Softball.
- If you have taken the SafeSport course through any of the USA (Sport) organizations in the time period of 8/26/2022 - 8-31-2023, you are not required to do it again. What I will need is for you to email me your current certificate, which can be found on your SafeSport Account Portal.
- When doing SafeSport, you will need to do 1 of 4 courses. They are CORE 90-minute Course, Refresher 1, Refresher 2, or Refresher 3. All should have NGB on the course. Only do one course per year, including the CORE Course.
- If it asking you to do CORE before you have finished all three (3) refreshers, stop and send me your last certificate which I can submit so that you do not take CORE again before you have to.
Who is required by Federal Law to do SafeSport?
- All 18-year-old & older participants who:
1. Coach or on youth teams.
2. umpires who do youth contests.
3. Board members of LL youth programs.
4. All local youth softball board members.
5. USA Softball South Dakota Executive Board members.
- This is required every softball season with the testing opening no later than 9-1 and expiring 8/31 each softball season.
- The Background and SafeSport are to be done before you start to practice and step on the diamond.
Background checks list as of 2/18/23
SafeSport list as of 2/18/23